Appropriate planning will not only save you from adding extra pounds this holiday season, but also help your budget. Many healthy versions of holiday favorites have fewer ingredients compared to their higher fat and more ingredient counterparts. Holidays scream social activities! Im sure your friends will also thank you for bring delicious items to their potlucks. Make it even better my including a few copies of your recipe with each item. Have a happy & healthy holiday season!!
Here are a few of my holiday favorites:
16 oz. fat free sour cream or Fat free plain Greek yogurt (for some added protein)
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing/seasoning mix
3 oz. Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon Bits (pkg., not jar)
1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
Blend together, refrigerate for 24 hrs. Serve with pita chips and veggies
Jalapeno Crescent Rolls:
1 package Cooked Turkey Bacon, cooked (I microwave mine to drain the fat) 1 large Jalapeno, chopped
4-8 oz. Fat Free cream cheese, kept cold & firm
2 packages of Pillsbury Reduced Fat crescent rolls.
Depending how many people will be enjoying these spicy delights, you might want to get more crescent rolls. Our family LOVES these!!
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Crumble up your bacon and chop your jalapeno.
3. Spray a large cookie sheet with Pam spray & cover it with crescent rolls laid flat
4. Cut each roll in half to create smaller rolls
5. Proceed by filling each roll with a pinch of cream cheese, bacon and jalapeno.
6. Roll each crescent and pinch closed
7. Cook for 13-17min till golden brown.
Easy Crescent Veggie Pizza:
2 cans (8 oz. each) Pillsbury Reduced Fat crescent rolls
1 package (8 oz.) Fat free cream cheese, softened
½ cup fat free sour cream or fat free Greek yogurt (for added protein)
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup small fresh broccoli florets
1/3 cup quartered cucumber slices
1 plum (Roma) tomato, seeded, chopped
¼ cup shredded carrot
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll both cans of dough; separate dough into 4 long rectangles. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust. If using dough sheets, unroll both cans of dough. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust.
3. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, dill and garlic powder until smooth. Spread over crust. Top with vegetables. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
Sweet Potato Casserole
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Using a fork, poke a few holes into the sweet potatoes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until very tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and transfer flesh to a large bowl. Add egg, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of each cinnamon, salt and pepper; mix well using a fork or a potato masher. Place the potato mixture in a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and spread out in an even layer. In a small bowl combine, pecans, remaining brown sugar and cinnamon and an additional 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Sprinkle topping over potatoes and bake for 40 minutes.
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
Total Fat: 7.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 22 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Once your casserole is ready, add any of these bonus toppings. Each will only add 100 calories (or less) to the entire recipe thats less than 20 calories per serving.
A sprinkle of chipotle powder
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
2/3 cup mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon of nonfat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
Name: Kala DuncanQualifications: AAS in Nutrition, NASM Certified in Sports Nutrition & Personal Training
Business: Online Personal Training, Diet & Lifestyle Coaching
Email: Contact tab on my website