For the Matzo Balls:
- ¾ cup of matzo meal
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp low sodium chicken broth
To make the matzo balls, in a large bowl stir together the matzo meal, Add the eggs, vegetable oil and low sodium chicken broth, then stir until well combined. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Remove chilled matzo ball mixture from the refrigerator. Wet hands and form batter into matzo balls, about the size of walnuts.
For the Soup:
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shelled fresh or defrosted frozen green peas
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh bay leaves, to garnish
Add the vegetables to the chicken stock and matzo ball. Simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste, ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh bay leaves.